Monday, September 15, 2014

Two-Week Warning

Today is Week 36 which means we can go into labor at any time.  To really emphasize this point, our friends K&J, who are pregnant with twins of their own (boys), had their C-section on Saturday.  K is 10 days behind Nightingale in terms of due dates and such.  But she is also my age which mean the babies were always at a higher risk and as such, probably opted to make their appearance sooner than later.

 So it's a double-sided sword.  On the one hand, you want as much time as possible to be as ready as possible.   On the other hand, Nightingale is ready to have these kids out of her.  She cannot move easily and going up and down stairs is particularly difficult.  Yesterday I was working in the garage while Nightingale was taking a bath.  After she was finished, she wanted me to bring her some water but I was no where to be found.  I had left my phone in the house and didn't see her text.  She was mortified that I wasn't there to help her in a moment of need.  Of course it was all the hormones and not a geniune case of me being off to no good.

The good news is that we do have the nursery set up and more or less have everything else more or less set up.  The bad news is we still haven't figured out what we are going to do for childcare when we go back to work.  And the longer we hold off delivering the children, the later in the year NG has to go back to work.

Weekend DIY

The sink in our laundry room was starting to fall apart.  That is to say, more correctly, the vanity that holds the sink was starting to fall apart.  Too many sink overflows caused the pressboard to weaken. 
Eventually I want to revamp that room and make it more functional: optimize the space better and make it look nicer.  But for the cash-strapped moment, I needed to make a quick repair.  So I decided to build a makeshift frame for the sink top and to make it more challenging I decided to only use whatever I had available in the garage (and yard).  I took the fence gate that I build last spring, which had fallen down because it was too heavy and cannibalized the frame and the screws.  I also had some scrap wood that I was eager to use.  It took me just over two hours to complete and I think I did a decent job of building something that will hold until we can afford an upgrade to the laundry room.  I probably could have done a better job of measuring things out and re-enforcing the joints but that would have taken more than 2 hours and I had other fish to fry on Sunday.

Thoughts on the Bears-49ers game

Many are saying that the turning point was when 49ers defensive tackle Quinton Dial launched on Cutler late in the first half, drilling the Bears quarterback in the sternum.   Cutler led the Bears back from a 17-0 deficit after that.  I think the turning point involved two other plays.  First, Jim Harbaugh challenged a catch by M Bennett and though he won the challenge, it was more a case of the officials being too picky.

Second, I'm going off memory here and I'll have to see if  I can verify it but at the end of the first half, the 49ers had the ball with less than a minute to go.  They had a lot of field to cover.  Yes your team could get into field goal range or even against these bears, score another touchdown.  But with as little time as was left on the clock and the fact that you have an entire second half still to play, Up 17 to 7, it probably makes more sense to go into the locker room and regroup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged! And the nice thing about this blog is that I rarely get spam so don't need to moderate the comments.

I've set the comments up to allow anonymous users -- but I'd love it if you "signed" your comments (as some of my readers have done) just so you have an identity of sorts.