I got two things done this weekend around that house that are by no means sexy or interesting water cooler commentary. However, if they were done correctly, it should save me from potential costly repairs down the road. First, I had our sewer line rodded. An Angie’s list special $99 for Sewer Rodding and Televising.….Given how costly our flood in 2013 was, I feel like I probably avoided a similar fate this time. I intend to get this rodded once a year.
Next, I power washed the roof of our porch and when it dried put down a coat of sealant. Hopefully this will help the water roll off the roof into the gutters instead of into the roof itself. Before starting with the Flex-Seal, I should have used my leaf blower to blow off all the debris that was up there. Lesson learned. I wasn’t expecting this to be an airtight 100% waterproof seal, just a very close approximation. What I didn’t expect was how difficult it is to spread the Flex Seal. It’s near impossible with a paint brush and a roller isn’t that much easier. I did get lucky in that it only took one can to cover the entire roof so I can either put a second coat on or return it and get $90 refunded. Though I’ll probably purchase the smaller can for the basement door access.
I still have to paint the door frame of our new back door but I think I can squeeze that in next Sunday at nap time (we are out and about all day Saturday). I might even be able to work on the basement door access at the same time. The challenge isn’t just the painting, it’s allowing it to dry without interference from Moose & Squirrel.
The last thing which will probably be the following weekend will be putting away all the deck furniture and other items for the winter.